Saturday, August 23, 2008

In Memoriam: Aunt Judy (1925-2008)

We had the great honor, this morning, of being present at the funeral of Krystal's mom's paternal aunt Judy. Although I only met her twice, I felt--from the thoughts and memories her siblings, children and grandchildren shared--that I've known her my whole life. I wish now that I had more opportunities to spend time with Judy before her passing.

As I sat there in the chapel, I realized how valuable each of us is as human beings. So many small individual characteristics of Judy's had great impact on those around her. She brightened the lives of her family members, friends, neighbors and countless children to whom she read as the librarian at the local elementary school. I began to ponder how many of those small traits each of us has that go unnoticed until we're gone.

At the service, I was re-energized to appreciate more about the people with whom I interact, as well as those whom I haven't met yet. I was reminded how important extended family is and I re-determined, not only to be one of those valuable extended family members, but assume that everyone with whom I come in contact is part of a family.

Judy, I join in with your close loved ones to fondly and warmly say goodbye!

No comments: